Date: 4/21/24 7:24 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Summary of today's fallout at Ft. Pickens
Hi all,
Migrants performed according to script today. They were scarce at Ft. Pickens this morning. But at about 4 pm, from our vantage point at the "dump" 8 of us birders started to observe wave after wave of migrants moving onto the island from the Gulf.  It was primarily composed of Indigo Buntings and Red-eyed Vireos with some Blue Grosbeaks mixed in. A few tanagers of both species and a few orchard orioles also arrived. Warblers were present but in low numbers with the exception of about 20 yellow warblers. My estimate of 200 Indigos is considered low by Lucy though! (See checklists from others from Escambia County!)
The day started when the Duncans watched 55 Purple Martins come in from the bay from our vantage point on the tip of the peninsula along with about 35 Barn Swallows. This was the vanguard of the movement we witnessed later as the strongest flyers arrive first. The late afternoon movement was a result of strong headwinds they encountered as they moved into the northern Gulf. The Martins were followed by the Indigos later and perhaps more warblers will follow tonight. We will know if that is the case by morning.
I looked at some checklists from Dauphin Is. and Ft. Morgan and from what I saw, they indicated the movement was not as heavy to the west of Pensacola. This would make sense as initial winds behind the front were strong NW and would have vectored incoming birds more our way eastward.
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL