Date: 4/21/24 12:49 pm
From: Chuck Imbergamo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Sherwood Meadowlark
There is a Meadowlark being seen at Sherwood Island State Park in Westport which is causing some excitement. Several expert birders have looked at photographs and believe that it is not an Eastern Meadowlark, and it does not have the right field marks for a Western Meadowlark either.

Aidan Kiley has reached some experts familiar with a third Meadowlark type and they believe that it may be a CHIHUAHUAN MEADOWLARK. Final determination has not yet been made.

I wanted to post about it here in case birders in the area want to try for it. The last I heard it was in the rotary but it has also been seen in the area of the model airplane field.

Apparently the bird is very skittish and easily spooked so birders are advised to try and observe it from a distance.

When the final species determination is made this group will be updated.

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: <ctbirds-request...>