Date: 4/21/24 10:46 am
From: Ducky Darrick <dadams...>
Subject: [NHBirds] You're gonna call me crazy BUT
You're going to think I'm off my rocker but I want to report a very
unconfirmed but possible gyrfalcon in Swanzey just now. It was soaring over
the vacant lot across from the post office on route 32 where they are
constructing some sort of new building. The best way that I can describe
the bird that I saw was that it looked like a cross between a peregrine and
an osprey in several regards. The coloration and the size both appeared to
be a cross between the two if you know what I'm trying to say. The wingspan
seemed about like that of a red-tailed hawk the wings were bent like a
falcon or an osprey and the tips were sharper than an osprey's but duller
than a peregrine's in terms of pointiness and the trailing edges seemed
rougher than a peregrine's but smoother than an osprey's. This happened at
roughly 1:40 p.m..