Date: 4/21/24 6:56 am
From: Kim Hillis <kimberlyannhillis...>
Subject: Re: ASCA April Field Trip report
If I may, I would like to acknowledge appreciation for how welcoming the group of ASCA members were yesterday. My first group birding was an incredible learning experience.

The more others are exposed to the beauty and wonders of nature the greater likelihood our environment will be protected for the future.

Thank you Karen Holliday for an inspiring birding day at Bell Slough.

Kim Hillis
Little Rock

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 20, 2024, at 10:16 PM, Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...> wrote:
>
> Today, Saturday, was the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas's (ASCA) monthly field trip. We birded Bell Slough Wildlife Management Area (WMA) at Mayflower, going in at the main entrance, the boardwalk entrance. The trip was a wonderful opportunity to aqaint our newer birders with one of our favorite birding areas near Little Rock.
>
> Our goal was finding warblers moving through. We saw eight species of warblers.
> Best were five Prothonotary Warblers seen on our walk. Showstoppers! PRWO are always a highlight for everyone. I call them eye candy. I explained the history behind their name. Papal Clerks of the Roman Catholic Church were known as prothonotaries, who wore yellow robes. That's where the name originated. Prothonotary is Latin for First Notary in the Catholic Church.
> Add that to your Bird Nerd factoids.
>
> One surprise-no Black-and-white Warblers. Usually, there is a plethora of those squeaky little guys by now at the WMA.
>
> Our two Northern Waterthrush were a life bird for several. We also had four species of Vireos and a total of five Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.
>
> In the flooded area we found Blue-winged Teal, Coots, Little Blue and Green Herons, Great Egrets, and pairs of Wood Ducks flying over. Saw Blue-gray Gnatcatchers on their lichen-covered nest. Challenging to find it in the trees. Well camouflaged.
>
> Final bird as we walked out to the parking lot was a flyby of a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. FOY for several. Nice end to a fun morning.
>
> In spite of cool temperatures, cloudy skies, and threatening rain, we had 49 species. Not a bad day to be out birding at the start of spring migration.
>
> Next field trip is May 11 to Gillam Park, the Little Rock Audubon Center, and Terry Lock and Dam park. That day is World Migratory Bird Day. A great day to be out birding and submitting eBird checklists wherever you are.
> Karen Holliday
> ASCA Field Trip Coordinator
>
> To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:
> http://listserv.uark.edu/scripts/wa-UARKEDU.exe?SUBED1=ARBIRD-L&A=1

or click the following link: