Date: 4/20/24 8:17 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [cobirds] Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists (20 Apr 2024) 28 Raptors
Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists
Colorado, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 20, 2024

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 1 206 236
Osprey 4 26 32
Bald Eagle 0 8 38
Northern Harrier 1 6 11
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 30 46
Cooper's Hawk 1 92 113
American Goshawk 0 4 5
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 1 5 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1 105 366
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 1 13 13
Ferruginous Hawk 0 3 15
Golden Eagle 0 5 16
American Kestrel 14 236 258
Merlin 1 11 15
Peregrine Falcon 2 5 7
Prairie Falcon 0 1 4
Mississippi Kite 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 6 7
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 3 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 2 2

Total: 28 767 1193

Observation start time: 09:45:00
Observation end time: 12:30:00
Total observation time: 2.75 hours

Official Counter: Dustin Kohler

Observers:

Visitors:
We surprisingly had 13 people visit the ridge today. In addition, a dog ran
up and tried to steal my sandwich, but I was cold and hungry and did not
share.

Weather:
Snows prevented us from getting up as early as usual, but there was a break
in the precipitation. After a few hours, the snow picked back up, the fog
rolled in, and the combination would have made visibility near zero km. At
that point, I canceled the rest of the count.

Raptor Observations:
With bad weather the last 3 days, migrants seemed to be waiting for a lull
in the snow to make a break north. All of our migrants were low either
above me or to the east.

We had a dark morph Broadwing Hawk all by himself, and not long after we
had an intermediate morph Swainson's Hawk.

Our Peregrines, and our other migrants, were flapping constantly fighting
that northern wind.

We had local red-tails, a Cooper's, two Turkey Vulture, an Osprey flying
south, and a local kestrel.

This local male Kestrel was my primary observer today he chased a lot of
other Kestrels out of town, he screamed at the Harrier flying past, but was
strangely quiet during the peregrines passing by. This kestrel also dove
under a bush as a probable sparrow flew out the other side.

Non-raptor Observations:
We had another Great Blue Heron migrate. For the second day in a row, the
highest bird I saw all day was a Great Blue Heron flying straight North
with no deviation.

Passerine birds were much more active today than the last couple of days as
well. I saw some Tree Swallows, a Rock Wren, Dark-eyed Juncos, Western
Meadowlarks, American Robins, Mountain Bluebirds, Black-billed Magpies,
Spotted Towhees, and probably others that I didn't write down.

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks like a warm and cloudless sky with winds from the East/
Southeast. I expect a surge of migrants who were unable to migrate during
the last 4-6 days of bad weather. Bring a neck pillow and fresh eyes
because I expect these migrants high and fast.
Report submitted by Official Counter (<j.f.peters58...>)
Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists information may be found at:
http://www.dfobirds.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=123

Site Description:
Dinosaur Ridge is the only regularly staffed hawk watch in Colorado and is
the best place in the world to see migrating Ferruginous Hawks. Hawk
watchers may see 17 species of migrating raptors; and it is an excellent
site to see rare dark morph buteos including Broad-winged hawk,
Swainson’s hawk, Ferruginous hawk, Rough-legged hawk and Red-tailed Hawk.
Other raptors we see include Golden and Bald Eagles, Northern harrier,
Osprey, Peregrine Falcons, Prairie Falcons, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawks, American Kestrels, Merlin, and Turkey Vultures. American Goshawk is
uncommon but also counted each season. Non-raptor species include Rock
Wren, Bushtit, Western Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, White-throated Swift,
American White Pelican, and Dusky Grouse. Birders of any skill level are
always welcome. The hawk watch at Dinosaur Ridge is staffed by a Hawk
Counter and volunteers from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM from March 1st to May 10th,
weather permitting.

Directions to site:
From exit 259 on I-70 towards Morrison, drive south under freeway and take
left into first parking lot, the Stegosaurus lot. Follow hawk watch signs
from the southwest end of the parking lot to the hawk watch site. The hike
starts heading east on an old two-track and quickly turns south onto a
trail on the west side of the ridge. When the trail nears the top of the
ridge, turn left, and walk to the flat area at the crest of the ridge.
(Distance: 0.56 miles, Elevation gain: 259 feet)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<0101018efea85d5a-d6c28fe1-e6ff-46d4-8ab5-9426808fd748-000000...>

Join us on Facebook!