Date: 4/20/24 11:49 am
From: Robin Harding via groups.io <pine2siskin4...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Kearney Co. Chickens
Nebraska birders,

On Friday, April 19, I heard Greater Prairie-Chickens booming to the south
of my place, which is in north central Kearney County. There is prairie
out there and I have seen and heard chickens in the past. I was getting
ready to go to work so I had no time to look for them that morning. The
next morning, I did not hear them but I took a walk from my place to look
for the chickens. It was cold but only a light breeze from the north. The
wind increased, making the walk back uncomfortable.

I walked south along 34th Road. The road quickly becomes minimum
maintenance and then just a track. There is cropland but also a lot of
prairie. I heard and saw many sparrows, including Field, Harris’s,
Clay-colored, Savanna, Chipping, White-crowned and Vesper. Unfortunately,
there were also many Brown-headed Cowbirds. There was one Northern
Harrier, a couple Northern Bobwhite and a few Brown Thrashers among the
usual birds. I saw/heard four Ring-necked Pheasants but no Greater
Prairie-Chickens.

I entered it all onto ebird.

Robin Harding