Date: 4/19/24 1:45 pm
From: Bob Lane <ohiomagpie...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] The Art Of Bird Finding
With spring migrants “HOPEFUlLLY” about to arrive, I would like to once again share my thoughts, about why some birders always seem to be the chosen ones finding the new and out of the ordinary birds. Are they lucky to be the birder to find the rarities, sometimes; but most of the time they know where and when to look. They also explore new potential birding sites. And also, the most important factor, is that they are out there putting the time in, day in and day out, not just when there is a rarity reported. There is a definite reason that some people are the ones that seem to always be finding and reporting the good birds. The following is a modified version of a one of my previous postings.
The listers and chasers of the state are primed and ready to enjoy and record the new spring arrivals. As someone who has also listed and has chased his fair share of birds wherever they may be, I am always grateful for the reports and calls when a new bird is discovered. And oddly enough, those reports inevitably come from the same people, time and time again. Scour e-bird, the listserves, and Facebook groups, and you will find that a handful of people find these birds and report them with vigor. Then the comments begin, is that person lucky, or so and so found another one. Uncanny! Right! In truth, not at all. The reason these people find and report so many birds is pretty darn simple: they actually go birding!! These are not folks who sit around with phone in hand waiting for a buzz or a beep to alert them of a new target, or stare at a computer screen to tell them where a new bird is. These are the folks who hit their local patches day in and day out. Before work. After work. On weekends. Rain or shine. They find birds. These are the folks who understand patterns, weather, timing, habitats, and who possess an intense understanding of when and where to actually look for birds. With field experience comes the knowledge that a field guide (you know that dusty book nobody seems to use anymore), cannot teach. These are people who think about under birded areas and actively set out to see what they can find. They all deserve a hearty round of applause for their contributions to not only science and the understanding of our feathered friends, but for your own state/county lists as well. You folks know who you are, and I, for one, am incredibly grateful. So with spring migration looming on the horizon, I challenge all the listers and chasers of the state to do the unheard of: Go out and bird people! Just go out and bird! Get out in the field and actually observe birds. Take note of flight styles, plumage, feeding behaviors, songs and calls, and the habitats of the most common birds, so that when something seems visually different or you hear a new sound, you will actually notice it and hopefully identify it. Let's all try to take some of the weight off of these diligent rarity finders, and maybe bolster your own rep in the process. Here's to another great rewarding season of birding.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County