Date: 4/16/24 9:11 pm
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island MA (16 Apr 2024) 188 Raptors
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 00:37:29 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Plum Island MA (16 Apr 2024) 188 Raptors

Unknown Buteo 0 1 1
Unknown Falcon 0 12 12
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 5 6

Total: 188 736 840

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 10.5 hours

Official Counter: Bob Secatore, Paul M. Roberts, Ted Mara

Observers: John Cannizzo, Kathryn Chihowski, Mark Schoene,
Paul Roberts, Steve Babbitt, Ted Mara

Visitors:
Julie Roberts, Andrea Cannizzo, Dawn Beckman

Weather:
Weak NMW winds for the first three hours then gave way to moderate winds
out of the west. Mostly sunny skies broken by well spaced small but
thick
clouds meant that longer periods of fairly warm weather were punctuated
by
rather short colder ones.

Raptor Observations:

Another good day on Plum Island with 188 migrants counted, 143 of them
Kestrels. We also enjoyed 18 Merlins flying through, five of them
making a
spectacular passage at low altitude, close to our platform and in just
the
right light during the 3 o'clock hour (see hourly note Paul Roberts'
evocative description). Depending upon temperature and wind velocity,
flight altitude of birds was either low or moderate to fairly high.

Raptors that failed to migrate: 3 BEs, 1 adult and 2 juv (one carrying
an
eel by the head), 5 NH including one adult male. Two very large
(presumably
female) Cooper's Hawks, both immatures, repeatedly flew southward into
the
refuge only to return northward back into the residential area of the
island sometime later.

Non-raptor Observations:
Birds: 2 Ravens, 11 Great Egrets, 5 Flickers.

Predictions:
Weak N, NE, NNE and ESE winds temps in low 50s. Sunny and partly cloudy.
Not very promising for our coastal location.
Report submitted by Robert Secatore (<rs8843829...>)
Plum Island MA information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=115

Join us on Facebook!