Date: 4/16/24 7:00 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA April Field Trip
   Please see details below for our ASCA field trips for April and May.    Currently there is a 50% chance of rain and some wind predicted for this  Saturday.  Not great birding conditions. But, that can easily change by Saturday, so monitor the weather. Possible high of 60° so a raincoat and layers are recommended. Also waterproof boots or shoes.     It's spring migration so this front could push birds into our area. Good news is we won't melt and we'll be close to home to easily get back to dry clothes and a hot lunch.   Stroud's is a great restaurant in Mayflower with home cooking and homemade pies. Yum!Come join us! Karen Holliday ASCA Field Trip Coordinator
   All birders of any experience level are welcome to participate. You don't have to be a member of ASCA.  It's a great way to meet other birders, enjoy seeing and learning about Arkansas's diverse avian species, and explore new birding spots. See below for field trip details.        Feel free to contact me off-list if you have any questions. April 20Bell Slough South (Boardwalk entrance)Mayflower, Faulkner Co.  Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the main entrance to the Bell Slough Wildlife Management Area (WMA) off Hwy. 365.  Our target birds will be spring migrants.   Bell Slough is a mix of ecosystems consisting of 2,040 acres of woodlands and wetlands situated between Little Rock and the Mayflower/Conway region.  There are 117 species of birds documented for the area, including the adjacent waterfowl resting habitat.   The Bell Slough Kenny Vernon Nature Trail consists of three connecting trails, each ranging in length from about a half-mile to 2 1/4 miles.  The WMA has a nice mix of wildflowers that attract numerous butterflies.  Wear study walking shoes.  This will be a morning trip. -Directions: From Little Rock, go west on I-40.  Exit I-40 at Mayflower (Exit 135) and turn east (right) at the light onto Hwy. 89.  Then turn south (right) just past the commuter parking lot onto the service road.  Follow the service road paralleling I-40, then veer right at the fork.  Follow this road until you cross the Palarm Creek bridge.  Turn left into the WMA parking lot. GPS: 34.946164, -92.407896Below is information for the May field trip:May 11Gillam Park and Little Rock Audubon Center (LRAC)Little Rock, Pulaski Co.  Meet at 7:00 a.m. at Gillam Park in the far parking lot.  Join our field trip to celebrate World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) and experience the excitement of spring migration.  At least four thousand different species of birds are moving from their wintering grounds to their summer nesting sites.  This is a great opportunity to add several new species to your year or life list.  Gillam has excellent habitat for spring warblers.        There will be moderate walking on fairly level, but possibly muddy trails.  Once finished at Gillam, we’ll drive to the LRAC and walk the wildlife observation trail.  Last, we’ll head to Industrial Harbor Road and Terry Lock & Dam to look for Western Kingbirds and Painted Buntings.  Bring water and snacks, the trip can last into early afternoon.  Wear sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots. -Directions: Gillam Park is in southeast Little Rock near the airport.  Address is 5300 Gillam Park Road, Little Rock.  Take I-30 West heading south from Little Rock.  Then exit onto I-440 going towards the airport.  Take Exit 1-Springer Road.  At the bottom of the exit ramp, turn left onto Springer Road.  Go approximately 1 mile to just past the LRAC.  Turn right onto Gillam Park Road.  Follow it into the park to the last parking lot.  GPS: 34.698684, -92.264514Karen Holliday ASCA

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: