Date: 4/16/24 5:35 pm
From: Harry Hooper <hbhooper...>
Subject: [NFLbirds] Red-headed
Evening nflbirders,

Daily bird counts in our backyard have averaged 17 to 21 species during the last couple of weeks. The Chippers and Goldfinch appear to have exited the area. A few Yellow-rumped Warblers are still actively feeding on the grape jelly, bark butter and seed trays. We had a nice addition last Friday afternoon, a Blue Grosbeak. But the bird moved on.

Today's special visitor was an adult Red-headed Woodpecker. The bird appeared around 3:15 this afternoon and disappeared for an hour before reappearing. Hopefully this beautiful bird will stay around and possibly nest in the area of our home We briefly had a Red-headed in our backyard April 7th of last year. But it didn't stay.
This Red-headed dominated the two tray feeders and chased or stood its ground against the blue jays and red-bellied woodpeckers. Tough rascal!

Attached are several photos of the Red-headed and one of a male Yellow-rumped tagged as a "mad" yellow-rumped and a female summer tanager.

Bird species documented today are:
*Mourning Dove: 3
*Common Ground-Dove: 3
*Ruby-throated Hummingbird: 1 male
*Red-headed Woodpecker: 1
*Red-bellied Woodpecker: 2 (male / female)
*Downy Woodpecker: 2 (male / female)
*Great Crested Flycatcher: 1
*Blue Jay: 4
*American Crow: 3
*Carolina Chickadee: 2
*Tufted Titmouse: 1
*White-breasted Nuthatch: 1
*Carolina Wren: 2
*Brown Thrasher: 1
*Northern Parula: 2 (male / female)
*Yellow-rumped Warbler: 3
*Summer Tanager: 2 (male / female)
*Northern Cardinal: 11 (male-5 / female-6)
*Red-winged Blackbird: 2
(*Common Grackle: 1

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee