Date: 4/16/24 5:32 pm
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Josephine County Rare Bird Alert
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <ebird-alert...>
Date: Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM
Subject: [eBird Alert] Josephine County Rare Bird Alert <daily>
To: <jctufts33...>

*** Species Summary:

- Common Poorwill (1 report)

eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully.
Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and
respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information
visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully

Common Poorwill (Phalaenoptilus nuttallii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 15, 2024 12:20 by Tony Kurz
- 11000–11018 Illinois River Rd, Selma US-OR (42.2827,-123.6656),
Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.665616&<ll...>,-123.665616
- Comments: "Hiking down rocky shale slope looking at flowers. The Poorwill
flushed up just ahead of us. We watched it fly maybe 50 yards before it
sat back down under a pine in a shaded spot. Some what similar appearance
to a burrowing owl but more of dark grayish brown. Somewhat long broad
wings and short tailed look. Maybe a female didn’t notice any white in
tail. It glided away from us and knew exactly what it was based on previous
history of flushing them in the past. I went over near where it landed and
could not pick it up due to their amazing camouflage. It then picked up
again just 10 feet from us and gave to quick cluck-cluck calls.
Coordinates (42.2826795, -123.6656502)"

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/