Date: 4/16/24 3:28 pm
From: Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
Even if you do have the correct location, you still have to be careful. I think there is a Pine Warbler/Dark-eyed Junco problem. Below is a ticket I submitted to Merlin on my recent observations:

I think I have discovered a flaw in the Merlin sound ID appthat gives false hits for Dark-eyed Juncos. On March 27 on the Gator Lake TrailMerlin picked up a Junco. I couldn't find the bird, so I didn’t record it. Thiswas in season and would be prime Junco habitat, but I thought I should be ableto see it and I couldn’t.  On April 7 onthe Jeff Friend Trail, I got another Junco call. I couldn't find this birdeither and did not record the sighting as a result. It was also beginning toget late in the season for a Junco. Last Saturday this happened again, thistime at the Middle Grounds at Fort Morgan. But this time I noticed something.When Pine Warblers were calling, both the Pine Warbler AND Junco readings wouldlight up yellow, indicating a match. I could only hear one bird. My wife was along,and she could only hear one bird also, and it was definitely a Pine Warbler. Inall three cases, there were Pine Warblers in the area. Not only did I get visualson the Pine Warblers, but the calls were coming from overhead. You would expectJunco calls to be coming from the ground or at least lower down.

So, then I got on the computer and played all the Junco callsI could find. One of them is very similar to Pine Warbler calls. In fact, All AboutBirds makes this exact point:

Male Dark-eyed Juncos sing an even, musicaltrill of 7-23 notes that lasts up to 2 seconds. It’s similar to the songs ofboth the Chipping Sparrow and the Pine Warbler and is loud enough to be heardfrom several hundred feet away.

I think I can tell the two apart now, having spent quite sometime listening to recordings. The Pine Warbler seems to be a little higherpitched to me. I think Merlin sound ID is sometimes giving false Junco readingson Pine Warbler calls.
Anybody else have similar experiences?
Douglas Hamm
On Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at 02:12:45 PM CDT, Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> wrote:

<!--#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 p.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 li.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv2948687057 a:link, #yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv2948687057 .yiv2948687057MsoChpDefault {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057WordSection1 {}-->
This has been discussed multiple times on all the listservs that I subscribed to but as a reminder, Merlin identification (especially the Sound ID) has problems and should not be relied upon as the sole method of identification.   One way to make the Merlin Sound ID more reliable is to ensure you have the location setting accurate.

See:  https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001214056-merlin-sound-id-best-practices#2-Set-your-location

If you are certain that the Merlin sound ID is correct and it is being flagged as rare, please upload the recording into the eBird list.

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001214056-merlin-sound-id-best-practices#3-Upload-your-sound-recording-to-your-checklist

This recent list highlights this point (several species would certainly not be suggested if the location setting was correct):https://ebird.org/checklist/S168927564

Thanks,

Jim

James F. Holmes, MD, MPH

Professor and Executive Vice Chair

Department of Emergency Medicine

UC Davis School of Medicine

Office (916) 734-1533

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This e-mail communication and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and privileged under state and federal privacy laws. If you received this e-mail in error, be aware that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy/delete all copies of this message.