Date: 4/16/24 1:47 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] recent migrants/breeding activity
In reverse chronological order below are some observations of
migrants,breeding activity, and other sightings I found notable in San
Francisco in the last couple of days.
---
This morning (4/16) on Corona Hill migrants/arrivals included:

Brown-headed Cowbirds (pair)
American Goldfinch - solo fly-over, ridiculously uncommon in SF for last
couple of years
Black-headed Grosbeaks - (2, males) initially singing in the row of blue
gum eucalyptus along Museum Way later moving down to the mixed
oak/conifer/euke grove behind the Randall Museum.

A seemingly territorial Orange-crowned Warbler (singing since end of March,
chasing other warblers) is still present on the hill as well.

Earlier starting pre-dawn I checked Mount Davidson for migrants and found
very few but including:

Black-throated Gray Warblers (2 males) - were notable as first arrivals
Spotted Towhees - two vocal pairs
Bewick's Wrens - countersinging plus a third bird
(these last two species only becoming regular here in recent couple of
years)
A couple of Hermit Thrushes linger on - today two were feeding above the
"X" on invasive Cotoneaster and English Ivy berries.
----
Yesterday (4/15) I explored around Lake Merced/west side hoping for
returning Bank Swallows which I did not encounter (but the've apparently
showed up today, with 3 being seen at ocean beach near their colony site.)
observations of note included:

NORTHERN PARULA - the wintering bird (2nd consecutive) was chasing around
an Orange-crown on the golf course side of the wooden Bridge. This is some
500m from where it had been noted most often this winter but undoubtedly
same bird. The real question is : is this the same bird that nested in East
Oak Woodland/Golden Gate Park last summer?

Spotted Towhee - singing above fishing pier on sunset circle side of Wooden
Bridge, expanding in SF

Blackbird nesting behavior - both Red-winged and Brewer's accompanied by
Brown-headed Cowbirds in the tules and adjacent weedy upland below the 18th
hole tee off just inside the Harding Park Golf Course entrance. Both
blackbirds species are much reduced as nesters in SF in recent years and I
suspect over-eagerness in weeding may be impacting them when carried out in
early spring. The weedy upland where they are on the golf course is mainly
a mix of california blackberry and wild radish.

Nuttall's White-crowned Sparrow - first fledgling of 2024 was following a
parent on the 2400 block of 29th Avenue in the Parkside/Outer Sunset
neighborhood.
----
Interesting to me from the walking big day on 4/14 was the absence (or
near absence) of species common just a few days earlier - 0 Fox Sparrows, 1
Hermit Thrush, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Pine Siskin.

----

Last week I visited Mount Davidson four consecutive mornings (4/9-4/12)
looking for migrants in what have in the past proven to be ideal
conditions. Migration was not much in evidence with only the following
noted:

4/10 - Western (Pacific-slope) Flycatcher - first arrival singing

American Goldfinch - fly-over

4/11 - Savannah Sparrow

4/12 - Chipping Sparrow - first I've noted this spring - not singing but
quickly moving through the chaparral on south side of hill, appeared to be
actively migrating.

Happy Spring birding,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco