Date: 4/16/24 12:40 pm
From: Hubbell via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Union Bay Watch } Kingfisher Quest
Tweeters,

In the PNW we have just one kingfisher species, the Belted Kingfisher. If you have not traveled much, you might not realize there are over a hundred different species <https://nhpbs.org/wild/Alcedinidae.asp#:~:text=Classification&text=There%20are%20around%20120%20species,found%20in%20the%20New%20World> around the world. Someday, I hope a scientist researches all their DNA and determines the relationships among all the different Kingfisher species. Did they start out in Africa or Australia? Where was their second stop after they left their first continent? What caused their numbers of species to multiple in some locations and not others? Why did one species become nocturnal but none of the others? So much to learn.

This post focuses on a much simpler question. Will a local pair nest nearby?

https://unionbaywatch.blogspot.com/2024/04/the-kingfisher-quest.html

Have a great day on Union Bay, where nature lives in the city and Black Birders are welcome!

Sincerely,
Larry Hubbell
ldhubbell at comcast dot net