Date: 4/16/24 12:08 pm
From: Harriett Pooler via groups.io <harriett.pooler...>
Subject: Re: [labird] Swimming upstream. In light of the US movement toward removing eponymous bird names...
Matthew,
As a reptile enthusiast, I enjoyed reading this article -thank you for
sharing. It does seem interesting that the uproar over using eponymous
names for new species only applies to bird species. It isn't that
surprising really, given that 98% of the population are phobic about snakes
and don't care what they are named. Still, it seems there would be some
protocol in place for naming new species that applied to all species,
whether birds, amphibians, reptiles, insects, etc.
Harriett Pooler