Date: 4/16/24 7:24 am
From: Carole Winslow <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Clarion Co- black-throated green, yellow-rump and yellow-throated warblers
It's been a wonderful three days of spring birding, even Sunday before
the storms later in the day.

On Sunday I walked the Redbank Valley Trail from Lawsonham towards
Redbank, and was very happy to find the yellow-throated warblers returned
and singing, I saw and heard two and possibly three right around the
parking area and start of trail where I typically find them. Louisiana
waterthrush were also back and singing nonstop, along with blue-gray
gnatcatchers,blue-headed vireos, and ruby-crowned kinglets, back several
days now.

Yesterday we walked along the North Country Trail outside of Clarion
between 322 and 66 along Doe Run. In the 30 years I have lived here I am
embarrassed to say that we have never really explored this stretch, not
appreciating what a great little microhabitat is left here along this
stream emptying into the Clarion River. Winter wrens were singing several
weeks ago and continued in the same location, along with a singing
Louisiana waterthrush, a location with no records, at least in eBird.
Happily I was already able to code that for the atlas. Many singing
blue-headed vireos here as well, and the first black-throated green I have
heard this year, it always sounds so great to hear the first time each
spring !

This morning we walked the entire property and also had a
black-throated green singing here, as well as a yellow-rumped warbler, and
gnatcatchers yesterday. Kestrels appear to be nesting again at the
neighboring farm, and here we now have a Cooper's hawk on the nest as well
as the red-tailed hawk which should be hatching within the week I expect.
Chickadees are building a nest in a bluebird box and we currently have two
boxes with bluebird eggs. I expect Henslow's sparrows must be back and
weather and other issues have kept me from confirming yet, so hopefully
this evening.

Happy spring birding folks, more birds are in safe dates as of
yesterday..

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co.

Join us on Facebook!